Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Who is Who? Mufti Muhammed Sadek Miah

Last week I was having trouble working out who to interview for this section. When I think back I should be cross with myself because there are so many diamonds out here in the vicinity of Luton and the above-mentioned is one such:

Muft Sahab, I'll begin by asking you a basic question. Where were you born?
Sylhet, Bangladesh

When did you come to this country?
I came here at the age of three.

Lets talk a bit about your educational background.
Sure, I studied in State school until the age of twelve at Denbigh High before moving to Dar-ul-uloom Bury Lancashire (Readers may remember that Mufti A.Hameed who I interviewed last week is also a graduate of Bury). In Bury I started by completing my Hifz (memorising the Holy Quran) before moving on to Alim class (course leading up to status of Islamic scholar) where I studied up to Mishkaat (renowned book of Hadith). At the age of nineteen I decided to study further and went to Jaamia Hussainiya in Goharpur, Sylhet, Bangladesh where I done a one-year course in Takhasus fil-uloom-al-Islaamia (Islamic Theology). From there I moved to Daruloom Deoband which is in Saharanpur UP India. There, I spent two years doing Takhasus-fil-Iftaa (Mufti course). Subjects included Takhasus-al-al-Qaid (Islamic beliefs) Ilm-al-Hadith, Tafsir, Islamic Science, Theology, Jurisprudence and History amongst others.
Not to forget, I've also done an IT course at Dunstable College, Bedfordshire.

Now tell us about your working career.
Well, my first assignment was teaching Hadith in Sylhet, Bangladesh for one year. I then decided to come back to the land where I had grown up and I wanted to make a useful contribution to this community.

Is that how Jaamia Bait-ul-Abraar and Jaamiat-ul-uloom-al-Islaamia came about?
Indeed, the mosque was initiated in November 1999 and everything else has developed from there. (please refer to Mufti Sahab's website: www.islamicinstitute.org.uk for all their range of activities)

Can I ask, what changes have you seen in this country in the last twenty years?
Well, I would say that particularly in the last ten years I have seen a great upsurge in the Muslim Ummah. Evidence of that is in the sharp increase in Musalli's (people who pray at the mosque), women wearing the Hijaab and becoming more eager to learn about their Deen. Indeed, children showing a great willingness to apply Islam to their lives. This is where I would suggest to your readers, to co-operate and make facilities available so that our women and children are not deprived of education.
Indeed, there is a great need to study secular as well as sacred education. Otherwise, how will we, as Muslims benefit the society that we live in? Ignorance is something that Muslims need to shun and education is the means to do that.

What are the main problems that you notice in Society?
Children walking about at night (where parents do not know where their children are). There is a likelihood that the time could be spent in stealing, burglary, drug use and other vices. Parents should be aware that, if that is the case, then these children will be a harm to themselves as well as to others. (remember, Muslims need to benefit society, not bring harm)
Thus, we need to provide the best possible education for our children, work on discipline, etiquette and give them a good moral code.

How does this country compare to other countries in the West as far as Muslim issues are concerned?
The UK has provided and catered for Muslim issues better than any of its European counterparts. For example, segregation facilities in education and the workplace. Halaal food being widely available, the great increase in mosques, schools, community facilities etc. Certainly, it is on a scale far higher than anywhere in Europe. So, we are in a position where we can benefit each other and that is what a community is all about.

My final question Mufti Sahab, will be on you're views on Islamaphobia?
I have a message for my brothers and sisters in Humanity (i.e those who follow other religions and those who follow none at all). My humble request is for you all to research Islam without a pre-conceived notion. Islam is the road to peace, tranquillity, security and reliability.
On the same token, individual actions of Muslims cannot be attributed to Islam as a whole. I will give a few examples here to illustrate my point:
If Harold Shipman can commit the crimes he did, (despite being a government certified doctor) can all British doctors be described as the same, indeed, can his religion or political affiliation be made responsible for his crimes?
If a Government minister is found to say or do something, which brings harm to others, does the Government, his party, his religion or his country shoulder the blame?
Islam tells us to look after ourselves as well as others. In fact, the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) relates, "What you want for yourself, you should want for others"
So, Non-Muslims should think, appraise and search for the truth. An example is Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens) who declared himself reaching Islam through searching (He himself said that if he looked at the action of some Muslims or understood Islam by its media portrayal, he may never have accepted Islam).

So, I suppose the message to Muslims is rectify and educate yourself and those around you. For Non-Muslims, to study Islam and get a better understanding of it. One may find that Islamic History is full of examples of how people turned to Islam through good conduct and character. With that. I thank Muft Sadek for his time and make du'aa that Allah continues to take good work from him.

Mufti Sadek's Website:

www.islamicinstitute.org.uk
email address: muftisadek@islamicinstitute.org.uk

3 comments:

A. said...

JazakAllah for this beautiful portfolio

A. said...

JazakAllah khairun for this beautiful portfolio

M Abul Hassan said...

Masha’Allah, Jazaakumullah Khair for the above portfolio