Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Who is Who? Mufti Abdul Hameed

When I was assigned to find somebody from the Luton community who has made a positive contribution to society, I must admit, I found it hard to pinpoint any natural contenders. Perhaps there are so many, so few even. There are of course those who shun the limelight and concentrate on the task at hand. I thought maybe I should look for examples of this kind. In my opinion, the following is one such person:

Mufti Abdul Hameed
An irrepressible young man full of energy and spirit who is based in the Bury Park Community Centre/Mosque.

It was here that I met him and I began by asking:

Where were you born?
Sylhet Bangladesh

When did you come to this country?
I came here when I was two years old.

Where did he get your education from?
Primarily from Dar-ul-uloom Bury Lancashire (Islamic Institute), where I studied for nine years. Secular education was combined with Sacred. For example, I undertook six GCSE's including Science, English and Maths along with study of the Arabic Language, Grammar, Etymology, Metaphysics. The Science of Arabic language, Hadith, Tafsir (commentary of the Holy Quran), Jurisprudence, Islamic History and Philosophy. We also studied renowned Islamic material such as the Sahih-Sitaa (the six most authentic books on Hadith), Muwatta-Imam Malik, Fath-al-Bari, Fath-ul-Qadir and many more.
When I came back to my home locality (Luton) I completed a Diploma in Computer Science at Luton University.

What role do you play at the moment?
I have been the 2nd/3rd Imaam of the main Bury Park Mosque for a number of years now. I conduct teaching and tarbiyah (discipline and etiquette) with the youth department at the mosque. I also take an active part in the Fatwa section which is open to the whole community to come and seek an Islamic ruling in their day-to-day affairs.
I have also spent 2 years studying World Politics and intend to do an MA in Economics at some point in the future Insha-allah.

What advice do you have for youth growing up in this society?
First of all, its important that they have a good balance of Worldly and Islamic education (secular and sacred). They should aim to represent Islam in Europe in the 21st Century as it was shown by the Prophet Muhammed (SAW). To be tolerant, understanding, to show sympathy and empathy to the community. To respect other people's way of life and honour them. Indeed, to practically demonstrate that Islam is a peaceful Deen (way of life).

What role should they play?
They should engage in society, adopt the multitude of professions that exist and they should help to build a community spirit.

What do you consider to be the major problems in society?
People have not been made aware of the true reality of Islam (and Muslims need to ask themselves why). Drugs, tribal/racial/cultural tension and illiteracy (There are many people I have come across who despite living in a country which provides educational access to all, have difficulty in reading and writing!)

What did you make of David Blunkett's recent comments regarding Imaams?
I thought it was irresponsible and not a true reflection of Imaams today (maybe ten/twenty years ago perhaps, when Imaams were mainly educated in their country of origin). It seems like a personal view, which he should have expressed accordingly.
If I can just add here, Islam is not a new phenomenon unknown to the West, its relations go back fourteen hundred years when the Holy Prophet Muhammed (SAW) wrote a letter to Hercules (The Greek King who was representing a Christian Kingdom). He received the letter with honour and respect. In fact, he paid a tribute to the Prophet of Islam and behaved cordially with the prophet's ambassador at his court.
Besides, it is historically proven that there have been Muslims in Britain since at least the 10th Century. Who can deny that during the course of commercial business between the British and Ottoman Empires, many captains and merchants embraced Islam through example and good conduct?

On that note, I thank Mufti Abdul Hameed for a riveting yet thoughtful conversation and I look forward with relish at finding other characters in society who make a meaningful contribution to the community.

No comments: